• Alabama is the fourth poorest state in the US. 19.2% of the population lives below the poverty line.
• More than 300,000 Alabama children live in poverty – that’s 1 of every 4 children in the state.
• 18.8% of Alabamians are food insecure. That means 1 of every 5 Alabamians have limited or uncertain access to adequate food.
• There are 3,970 homeless persons in the state of Alabama. Almost 2,500 of them live in the bounds of the North Alabama Conference. (Stats from 2016 Alabama Poverty Data Sheet by Alabama Possible http://alabamapossible.org/)
Ministry with the Poor is one of the four North Alabama Conference ministry priorities. The Operational Team leading this priority has developed Exploration—an intensive summer internship for people who are discerning a call to Ministry with the Poor. Exploration interns will live in community, learn, grow spiritually and serve in one of our North Alabama churches or agencies in direct ministry with the poor.
• Asbury United Methodist Church (Madison)
• Community Church Without Walls
• East Lake United Methodist Church and P.E.E.R., Inc.
• Restoration UMC Mission
• Upper Sand Mountain Parish
YOUR CONGREGATION CAN HELP!
This year’s North Alabama Annual Conference Special Offering will go to fund this new initiative and other work of the Ministry with the Poor Operational Team to develop trained ministers and laity passionate about ongoing ministry with the poor who are willing to lead this Conference priority in the life of our local churches. Each North Alabama congregation is asked to support this year’s offering by giving $1 per person.
We are collecting this special offering in our worship services on Sunday, May 28. You may also send a check to the church designated “Ministry with the Poor Offering.”
GIVE TODAY through our Paypal account.